Sunday, June 24, 2012

This is getting serious

So in my last post (no pun intended) I wrote about the Kokoda Challenge and why I am walking it. Well, I sort of did. I burbled on about Sam Worthington with his shirt of a fair bit too. I also said I'd put up the more "serious" reasons why I am doing it. Serious reason #1 I love a challenge and seem to excel at picking ones that end up freaking me right out and causing more than a little stress to those who love me. I'm just that kind of gal. In January 2011 I realised I had to really make some major changes in my life - I was tipping the scales at 144kg and feeling pretty FARKING crap-tacular about myself. So I started the long, slow slog that is losing weight and getting fit in a way that was sustainable and healthy. There were quite a few trips, falls, stumbles, romping around in chips and gravy and general carry on I am not overly proud of along the way, but I am now down to 118kg and am healthier than I can remember being in over 10 years. In Jnaury the lovely Emma McLaren asked if anyone would be interested in doing this walking things called the Kokoda Callenge and of course I went "hell yeah!". Fast forward to now and I have spent the last 5 months doing lots of walking, trying out things like endurance gels (I have puked a lot too), learned how to tape up my feet and experienced the joy that is walking like a cowboy because I thought I didn't need chafing cream for a long walk. Serious reason #2 Like so many people, I had relatives who fought in the Second World War. One who ZI got to know very well was my Great Uncle Ken, who I knew fought in the war and was in North Africa and PNG campaigns. he didn't talk much about it and it was only later, near the end of his life, that I found out what he did. To me he was just UNcle Ken, who had an awesome model railway set and always gave us chocolate when we visited. It turns out news a major general and his "job" on Kokoda was to command the 25th Brigade. It was his decision to withdraw to Imita Ridge and in doing so, gained a strategic advantage over the Japanese advance. I had a chance to talk to him a bit about this and I asked him what it was like ot be in that position. his Answer is one I will keep saying to myself when I get tired on the challenge "You make a commitment, you do it. No matter what". This is a picture of him taken in September, 1942. I am proud of him and those like him, who serve our country today. It is them I will be thinking of as I walk. serious reason #3 Ummmmm. No idea. Seemed like a good idea at the time?

1 comment:

Karene said...

Helllllooooo Darling! I love a good challenge to so I totally get why you are doing this... and I think you have the right attitude to get it done too. You inspire me so much, and I am so proud of you. Reason #3 Emma kicks ass because she can!!